Monday, June 22, 2015

Older and Wiser (maybe)

Hola Familia y Amigos!

Como fue el Dia de los Padres? Mine was awesome. I ate a doughnut for you, Daddy! Hopefully, you like maple bars, because that's what I got. :) Anyways. This week on Saturday is my birthday! It's my one and only birthday away from home. It's very fitting that I move from my teenage years to my actual adult life while I'm on a mission. A mission changes you about as much as the years do. It's pretty wonderful. I have loved changing and watching everyone else change. It's been one of my favorite parts of the mission! Anyway. Enough about me.

Let's talk about: HERMANA STREULING! I LOVE HER! Which means that we'll probably go our separate ways next transfer, but as long as we work this transfer, we will have no regrets! She is so willing to work hard while still being herself. She is a much better missionary than I will probably ever be. She always asks what she can do to help, and she relates to everyone. She has no fear in talking to everyone as well. Definitely something I need to improve on. We'll see what the next six weeks bring for us.

Well, the area just got bigger! I'm so looking forward to serving in both Manson and Chelan with Hermana Streuling! The ward's kind of freaked out that they don't have elders anymore, but I'm sure they'll love us! (Well, they already do, but...) We know that there are plenty of miracles waiting to happen in this area, and we're both willing to work hard to get them! Quick story: One of our investigators gave us directions to his house. In Spanish. Very vaguely. We only know that he lives in a trailer by a sign and a yellow compost car. So, we decided to find him Friday. Couldn't. We tried again Saturday, and we couldn't. So we decided to knock on a trailer. We were there, and we had nothing better to do. So, this little Mexican woman came out and was kind of hostile. "Diga me". So, we did! We started talking about how we were missionaries and we shared a message about Jesus Christ. She basically quoted 2 Nephi 31:21 to us about how Christ was the way. She also said that she believes there could be a prophet today. Inspired questions were definitely a thing. Inspired answers were also a thing. We kept talking and she began opening up to us, and by the end she was pretty interested in learning more! We couldn't set up an appointment because she's working in apples and cherries which means that she's not available anything except 6 in the morning or 10 at night. Not exactly possible for us... But, we left her with a prayer, and she broke down, told us her life story, and asked us to pray for her! She's definitely been prepared for the gospel and recognizes the hope that the gospel brings. We're excited to find more people like her this transfer. (And of course baptize her too.)

Something spiritual: I've always loved being a Spanish speaking missionary. Latinos are much more open and humble than white people are. I have a friend serving in New York right now (Spanish Speaking) and he reminded me of a prophecy that Lehi or Nephi made. I can't remember which prophet. But, they said that all who came here to this county were led here to learn of the gospel. It's so true! At times, they're under the impression that they're here to earn more money or have a better life for their family, but they see the blessings of the gospel and are humble enough to accept them, knowing that it can help in all other things. It gives me hope that even if I'm not successful, I'm still planting seeds that other missionaries will reap one day. It's pretty awesome.

And that's about it. Have a miraculous week!

Con carino,

Hermana Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment